On October 26, 2023, the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia passed new amendments to the Law on the Protection of the Right to a Fair Trial (hereafter referred to as the “Law"), which were published in the Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia No. 92/2023.
We are facing a remarkable growth of blockchain technologies. One of the main functionalities of this technology is to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of (personal) data. This article addresses possible advantages and risks for the protection of privacy and personal data posed by blockchain technologies and manners how to mitigate risks to protect the rights and freedoms of data subjects and other natural persons.
JPM Partners has recently embarked on a transformative journey of both rebranding its operations and integrating with the law offices of Lana Vukmirovic Misic in Montenegro – a “long-time JPM friend and partner.” JPM Partners Senior Partners Nenad Popovic and Lana Vukmirovic Misic discuss the firm's recent rebranding, strategic expansion, and the motivations behind these as well as what comes next for the firm.
A golden parachute is a compensation agreement guaranteeing significant financial benefits to a top executive who loses their job, namely chief executive officers and other high-ranking employees who depart because of a merger or acquisition. They are often applied through clauses in employee contracts, specific contracts, or acts of incorporation.
The adoption of the Law on the Use of Renewable Energy Sources in 2021 created a very favorable environment for investments in green energy. Recognizing the opportunities and incentives, investors in a short period of time submitted a large number of requests to Elektromreža Srbije as a transmission system operator ("TSO") for the connection of future power plants using renewable energy sources. More precisely, requests for the connection of 22,000 MW have been submitted so far, while the total capacity of the power plants connected to the system is about 8,500 MW.
BDK Advokati has advised Waberer’s International on its acquisition of a 55% stake in the MD International distribution company in Serbia, with an option for the remaining 45%. JPM & Partners advised MDI shareholder Dragoslav Micic. Marjanovic Law reportedly advised the other sellers.
Everyone is free to choose their work, time, or place of engagement and the profession they will commit to. The Serbian Constitution grants these basic human rights while also envisaging that all jobs are available to everyone under equal conditions. A similar principle is founded under the Law on Protection of Competition - that the protection of competition on the market of RS is regulated with the aim of economic progress and the well-being of society as a whole, especially to the consumer’s benefit. However, these are only the general principles that are subject to numerous constraints with the purpose of either protecting basic human rights, preventing unfair competition, or harboring the whole economic system with the consumers and companies as its vital participants.
The Ministry of Economic Development and Tourism adopted the Draft Law on Real Estate Brokerage. The adoption of this law is motivated primarily by the need to suppress the grey economy that is flourishing in the field of real estate brokerage. The second, equally important motive is the protection of participants and the prevention of abuses and fraud in real estate sales.
As we promised a few weeks ago when we discussed all the interesting aspects of commercial offences as an integral part of Serbian penal law, we shall now take a closer look at the first-instance proceeding and some of the most important segments of domestic and foreign legal entities, as well as their responsible persons, should keep in mind in case they are subjected to a commercial offence proceeding.
The Republic of Serbia applies different taxes to reimbursement payable to engaged individuals depending on their engagement type. Those engaged via employment agreement, are subject to salary tax and those engaged via service agreement are subject to tax on other income. Those engaged via temporary and periodical employment agreements are subject to either salary tax or tax on other income while those engaged on the basis of supplementary work are only subject to tax on other income.
The new Rulebook on the Content of the Business Entities Register and Documents Required for Registration (RS Official Gazette No. 63/23) (hereinafter: "New Rulebook") has entered into force on August 5, 2023, thereby ceasing to be valid Rulebook on the Content of the Business Entities Register and Documents Required for Registration (RS Official Gazette, No. 42/2016) (hereinafter: "Previous Rulebook").