22
Fri, Oct
57 New Articles

Zivkovic Samardzic and GO2Law Advise on Eurobank Beograd’s Merger with Direktna Bank Kragujevac

Zivkovic Samardzic and GO2Law Advise on Eurobank Beograd’s Merger with Direktna Bank Kragujevac

Serbia
Tools
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

Zivkovic Samardzic has advised on the merger of Eurobank a.d. Beograd with Direktna Banka a.d. Kragujevac, via an absorption of Direktna by Eurobank Serbia. GO2Law advised Direktna on English law matters, with Milbank advising both banks on English law. Schoenherr reportedly advised Eurobank Serbia on the deal as well.

Eurobank Beograd is the Serbian subsidiary of Eurobank S.A., itself a subsidiary of Eurobank Ergasias Services and Holdings S.A. The transaction remains contingent on regulatory approval.

The Eurobank Group is a banking group active in six countries, with total assets of EUR 67.7 billion and 11,394 employees. According to Zivkovic Samardzic, “established in 1990, the Group expanded through organic growth to become a leading force in Greek banking sector. In Serbia, Eurobank (after two successful acquisitions – Postanska Banka and Nacionalna Stedionica) is today among the leading foreign investors and financial institutions.” According to the firm, “Direktna is a modern, domestic and universal bank, whose business strategy is focused on business with the population and the economy. It was created by the purchase of KBM Bank, then Findomestic BNP Paribas and Piraeus Bank a.d. Beograd, which formed a strong and stable financial institution.”

The combined bank – Eurobank Direktna – will have total assets in excess of EUR 2 billion and total equity above EUR 300 million. The combined bank’s market share will exceed 6.5%, in terms of total loans, making the bank the seventh-largest in Serbia.

After the completion of the transaction, Eurobank will control approximately 70% of the combined bank while Direktna’s shareholders will own the remaining 30%. According to Zivkovic Samardzic, “both parties have committed to a growth-oriented business plan, incorporating ambitious expansion targets that will allow the combined bank to finance the Serbian economy and grow profitably in the next few years. Part of the transaction is the payment of a dividend/capital return to Eurobank. The transaction is capital neutral for Eurobank and earnings per share accretive by 3% post synergies.”

Zivkovic Samardzic’s team included Partners Branislav Zivkovic, Uros Djordjevic, Igor Zivkovski, and Sava Pavlovic.

GO2Law's team was led by Hugh Owen.

Serbia Knowledge Partner

The oldest full service commercial law firm in Serbia, founded in 1991, JPM with three decades of experience in assisting local and international businesses presence and growth not only in Serbia but throughout the SEE region.

We have accumulated a wealth of knowledge in every industrial and corporate sector, from energy to banking, transport, manufacturing and telecommunications, while remaining true to a pioneering spirit that has always drawn us to follow the latest trends and developments in providing of our services to clients. Today we use the latest legal tech available in serving our clients and are expanding our services to clients from growing industries such as renewable energy, IT and life sciences, by offering innovative solutions and a pro-active approach to broaching new grounds.

Our expertise, experience, and commitment to professional excellence mean we are routinely involved in landmark cases and transactions, while our high standing among clients and peers sees us ranked among the leading law firms by independent guides such as Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, and IFLR1000.

We are known for working closely with clients and treating their problems as our own. Our lawyers pride themselves on being team players, fast and available, specialised in terms of practice area and industry, but versatile and creative in their thinking. We believe our advice should be tailor-made and that even the thorniest issue has a legal solution.

Our membership of Lex Mundi (the world’s premiere network of independent law firms) and the TLA (a regional alliance of leading firms from Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Serbia) means we have close working relationships with first-rate firms throughout the region and around the world, enabling us to operate as the perfect hub for SEE and other multi-jurisdictional transactions.

Firm's website: http://jpm.rs/

Our Latest Issue