An in-depth look at Victor Gugushev of Gugushev & Partners covering his career path, education, and top projects as a lawyer as well as a few insights about his as a manager at work and as a person outside the office.
- Gugushev & Partners Law Office, Senior Partner, 2022-present
- Gugushev & Partners Law Office, Partner, 2020-2022
- Gugushev & Partners Law Office, Senior Associate, 2017-2020
- Gugushev & Partners Law Office, Associate, 2012-2017
- Gugushev & Partners Law Office, Trainee, 2007-2012
- Columbia Business School, Columbia University, Entrepreneurship Program, 2021-2022
- Queen Mary University of London, Master of Laws, 2014-2015
- Sofia University Kliment Ohridski, Master of Laws, 2007-2012
Our of Office Acivity: Cooking
Quote: “Amat Victoria Curam”
Book: The Republic by Plato
Movie: Lord of the Rings
Top 5 Projects:
- Advising BlackPeak Capital on its acquisition of a stake in Telelink Bulgaria AD. Leading the team and coordinating the multijurisdictional aspects for the EUR 8 million transaction;
- Advising Delivery Hero as lead Partner in all stages of the sale of Delivery Hero’s Bulgarian subsidiary. The deal was closed simultaneously in six jurisdictions;
- Advising Alfa Star on the registration of the first evergreen EuVECA fund in the country. A significant advantage of the EuVECA label is that it enables managers to market their funds to high-net-worth individuals investing a minimum of EUR 100,000;
- Advising Eleven Fund III Cooperatief U.A. and leading the team on the acquisition of a Greek-based start-up company. The investment was in the form of a conversational loan that can eventually be converted into company shares;
- Assisting the majority shareholders of NJ Partners, a leading food retailer in Bulgaria, in the process of the sale of their shares to the company’s minority shareholders.
What would you say was the most challenging project you ever worked on and why?
Gugushev: The acquisition of Delivery Hero’s businesses by Glovo in six separate legal jurisdictions – Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, and Croatia. The EUR 170 million deal was characterized by its highly complex cross-border aspects, multiple stakeholders, and tense deadlines. The professional work of the Gugushev & Partners team on this project has deservedly won the Deal of the Year Award for 2021, received at a ceremony in London organized by CEE Legal Matters.
And what was your main takeaway from it?
Gugushev: That 24 hours are never enough. Seriously speaking, the main takeaway for me was that only a professional approach can take you out of a difficult situation. In this project, I had the great pleasure and opportunity to work with top-level experts in my team and in the counterparty’s team as well. Even though it was an extremely complicated deal, with many stumbling blocks, our common efforts helped to avert a deadlock and lead the project to a successful closure.
What is one thing clients likely don’t know about you?
Gugushev: My passion for cooking. Culinary experiments with products, tastes, and flavors inspire my creativity. Good company that delights in the result of my efforts in the kitchen is the desired satisfaction – not only my family and friends – but also many of our partners and clients have tasted, and highly valued, my original dishes.
Name one mentor who played a big role in your career and how they impacted you.
Gugushev: I would definitely say Dimitrinka Metodieva, a Senior Partner in our firm and a great colleague of mine for many years. Her diligent approach, timely manner, and the responsibility with which she addresses tasks have always impressed me and have been an example to follow. One quality I find particularly important for a mentor is the readiness to share experience with others and, more precisely, with younger colleagues. Many people might have the impressive personality and achievements to be role models, but the ones who are ready to dedicate time and effort to teach and transfer their knowledge are rare diamonds. Dimitrinka is one of them.
Name one mentee you are particularly proud of.
Gugushev: Mihaela Dimitrova is a rising star in our office and a young colleague with significant achievements over the last couple of years. In 2022, she successfully completed an executive program in Energy Markets and Services. Her work was recognized with a scholarship, and she was invited as a speaker at an international conference – and this is just the beginning of her professional career. I am really proud that my mentorship contributed to Mihaela’s confidence.
What is the one piece of advice you’d give yourself fresh out of law school?
Gugushev: Don’t take yourself too seriously and work hard. Both will be appreciated.