In July 2023, the Ukrainian parliament adopted several laws on changes to the Labour Code of Ukraine, which relate to maternity leaves, as well as list and dates of public holidays.
1. Changes to the procedure for granting maternity leaves
Before the legislative changes, women were entitled to paid maternity leave (i.e. leave in connection with pregnancy and giving birth) of 70 calendar days before the due date and 56 calendar days (70 calendar days in case of giving birth to twins or complications during childbirth) after that. The total duration of maternity leave was 126 days (140 days in case of giving birth to twins or complications during childbirth).
However, from now on, at the woman's request and in the absence of medical contraindications, a part of the leave of 70 calendar days before the due date can be shifted and used in part or in full after childbirth. At the same time, the total duration of the leave remains the same, i.e., it cannot exceed 126 calendar days (140 calendar days in the above-referred cases).
The changes became effective on 29 July 2023.
2. Changes to the list and dates of public holidays
The Labour Code of Ukraine was also updated in part of the list and dates of public holidays, namely:
- Christmas Day will be celebrated on the 25th of December only. 7th of January will be a regular working day
- Day of Ukrainian Statehood is moved from 28 July to 15 July
- Day of the Defenders of Ukraine is moved from 14 October to 1 October
The changes became effective on 30 July 2023.
By Inesa Letych, Counsel, and Iryna Shaposhnikova, Associate, Asters